Friday, November 28, 2008

Wow......

As many would know, today was black Friday. It is the day where all major retail/department stores open their doors at dawn to many hungry and excited shoppers eagerly wanting to see what favorite item of theirs they can get for 60-70% off. I have a few friends that are among the few that wake up at ungodly hours to go stand in line for these egregious events. I never really thought that sacrificing my sleep just to indulge myself further in my already consumer ridden life was worth the effort.
Today's news nailed down the reason for me. A Wal-mart employee was trampled to death while opening the doors of the store to hundreds of anxious consumers.

I have very few words for the disgust I find in this situation. The fact that a man was trampled to death because of discount sales only further reveals the savage nature of the species known as homo sapiens

I grieve for this man's loss of life but I also grieve for the continuing decline of the human race. How far have we really come when a man cannot simply do his everyday job without being trampled by hordes of hungry and bustling people?

This Christmas I think I'll try to find better things to stress about. Like whether the malnourished child in Uganda will get a meal for the night or if a family in Kenya can have clean water to bathe, cook, and clean for the day.

I would much rather do this than break down the doors of a department store to only sustain my selfish wants and desires


How

No comments: